Onigiri, also known as rice balls, are a traditional Japanese lunchbox item and snack made by shaping rice into triangular or circular shapes. They are typically made by firmly pressing rice together with your hands or using a dedicated onigiri mold. It is common to wrap the outer layer with nori, a type of dried seaweed, to make it easier to hold.
Various fillings are used in onigiri, with popular options including pickled plums (umeboshi), salmon, kombu (kelp), tuna mayonnaise, and seasoned cod roe (mentaiko). In recent years, fillings such as cheese, ham, and grilled meat have also gained popularity.
Onigiri can be found in Japanese convenience stores and supermarkets, making them an easy and portable option for lunch or a snack. They are nutritious, containing carbohydrates, proteins, minerals, and vitamins, making them suitable for energy and nutrient replenishment.
1. Rinse the rice and drain the water.
2. Add water, kombu, mirin, sake, and soy sauce to the rice cooker and cook the rice.
3. Once the rice is cooked, mix it by cutting through it with a rice paddle.
4. Add mozzarella cheese to the center and shape the rice into a triangle.
5. Make six rice balls (onigiri).
6. Heat a frying pan and drizzle oil onto it. Place the rice balls in the pan and cook them over medium heat for 5 minutes.
7. Once they are browned, flip the rice balls and cook the other side for another 5 minutes.
8. Once both sides are browned, place the rice balls on a plate.
9. Wrap each rice ball with a piece of nori (seaweed) divided into six equal parts, and your onigiri is complete.
10. Let the onigiri rest for about 5 minutes before eating. The warmth will be just right, and the cheese will be deliciously stretchy.
• cutting board
• rice paddle
• frying pan
I highly recommend the Zojirushi rice cooker (ASIN: B088FZXZHY) available on Amazon. This top-quality rice cooker is made in Japan and comes from a reputable company that is well-known for its reliable kitchen appliances. Zojirushi has earned its fame and trustworthiness due to its commitment to producing innovative and durable products that consistently deliver excellent results. With its user-friendly features and state-of-the-art technology, the Zojirushi rice cooker will undoubtedly elevate your cooking experience. Don’t miss out on this fantastic product – click the link to learn more and purchase it today.
• Rice 360ml
• Water 350ml
• Kombu (kelp) 2 pieces
• Mirin (Maple syrup) 4 tbsp
• Sake 2 tbsp
• Soy sauce 1 1/2 tbsp
• Mozzarella cheese 100g
• Oil 50ml
Yield: 6 pieces for 2 people
Time: 1 hour